Friday, July 3, 2009

One for the birds.





I love hummingbirds. Love to watch them, feed them,hear them. I find it hilarious that they are so small yet so fierce over their "territory".
We have a feeder outside my studio hanging off the house, I can also see it from the kitchen window. It hangs from a bracket and there is one little guy in particular who thinks I fill it JUST FOR HIM.

He drinks really long drinks then flys up to the top of the bracket and waits for any other bird to dare come near. When they do he so wholeheartedly dive bombs them...FULL force. If I am remiss in filling up the feeder they will come look in the windows hahaha.

The feeder was only about 3.50 from Lowes and I make my own nectar. Hummingbirds also are attracted to the color red and purple. They love bee balm.



And wild delphiniums.

Plus a whole slew of other flowers.

Here is a recipe for the nectar:
Use the following proportion:
1 part regular white sugar to 4 parts water.
Example: 1 cup sugar, 4 cups water
1. Boil the water. Debatable* ( We have a Big Berkey water filter, so it's chlorine, and everything else, free)
2. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
3. Let cool.
4. Refrigerate in a designated hummingbird feeder pitcher.

Using a microwave works too. Put the water in a microwave safe container and heat to boiling point. Carefully remove and add sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. I fill my clean feeders and set them aside to cool and let the rest cool a bit before storing in the fridge.

Discard: If the juice in the feeder(s) becomes cloudy, or mucky, empty, clean and refill.
Cleaning: Make sure bird feeders are cleaned every few days to a week to prevent any fermentation, slime or mold. Cleaning with a solution of vinegar and hot water is good.

0 Brilliant Comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Commentors, I am moderating comments so pesky spammers can't bother us. Your comment will show up, I promise, I just have to Okay it first.