Wednesday, April 14, 2010

An Arm and a Leg vs. Peace of Mind. Catfish, Shrimp and Bleeding Hearts.

Back sometime in the 80's a friend of mine was laying on his bed, underneath a skylight watching TV. Some high winds blew in, not unusual in Virginia Beach, and toppled a tree in the next yard.
The whole tree fell on my friends house and a huge branch came right through the skylight and speared the bed right next to him.
Aside from needing a clean pair of pants and a good stiff drink, my friend was fine. Nerves were rattled for a few days, but he was fine.

To this day, I have a huge fear of high winds when I am near trees. So when we built this house we were going to build it further back on the property. What is now our house started out as a garage. It was going to be a nice big garage. One room.
But sometimes the best laid plans change.
What we started building as a garage became over time our house. We keep adding onto it and it ended up on one side right under a couple of trees that started to lean...and lean...and lean.
Until I found myself a nervous wreck everytime the winds would blow.
So this is what happened around here this past week...
He took the first one down little by little using the bucket truck.


TIMBER !! This one he pulled down using cable and the truck as a pulley.


Right where he wanted it to land..YAY !!

Tree Service for 2 Trees- 450.00
Trees Down in Yard- lots of clean up work
No More Frazzled Nerves- Priceless

________________________________

A Few Pics...

Bleeding Hearts


Lunaria or Honesty or Silver Dollar Plant...This is why it's called silver dollar Plant.....when dried...

Tarragon...I like to plant herbs in cinder blocks at the ends of my garden beds...

Broccoli in the greenhouse....
An apple tree I am growing from an apple I ate last year...
__________________

I made some catfish and shrimp the other night.
My new breading mix;
Crushed potato chips
Panko bread crumbs
Bayou Blend Seasoning or Seafood seasoning
egg
1/2 c. water
1 lb. fish fillets, I use catfish
1/2 lb. shrimp, peeled and butterflied.

2 cups peanut oil.

Heat oil in wok or frying pan.

I just eyeball how much. About half and half on the chips and bread crumbs.
About a tsp. of seasoning. Mix together.

Put egg and water in large bowl and stir. Put fish fillets in egg mixture and coat letting excess drip off.
Roll in crumb mixture.

Place in hot oil and fry until golden about 3-4 minutes per side.
Do same with shrimp, but fry about 1-2 minutes.

Drain well.

5 comments:

  1. we had a tree service for 5 years...I was the rope guy,...but we did not have a bucket truck, we always had to sub contract out the trees that needed the tops out before we could do the rest (if they were close to the house or the wires etc)
    ****If we had, had our own bucket truck, we'd still be in business...hubby still has all his climbing gear, and most of our chainsaws, sold the chipper, and the dump truck is going to the junk guy.
    our property up front of our acreage around the house is loaded with huge trees, the humongous evergreens up front I do not worry so much, about the house, it is the hugs maple (actually 2) I worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic of the bleeding heart. I am so amazed to see them out so early this year. We've had a great spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, your food looks fantastic, you make all your recipes sound so easy!
    I don't fear the trees yet, but if I had your experience I am sure I would feel different! I have other fears though!!
    I love how you put the plants in the cinder blocks, and all your plants look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pics, and my mom has the same issues with trees. Only I'm the one thinking they are going to come down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really scary about the trees. I live back in the woods and never really thought about one falling on my home..I really should be thinking of that. I love apple trees..I have a few back in the fields of my home but they didn't do too well last year..Maybe this year they will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Commentors, I am moderating comments so pesky spammers can't bother us. Your comment will show up, I promise, I just have to Okay it first.